If you’re not a member of the media, please call 800-654-7385 to be directed to the appropriate area.
You can also send us a secure message in Blue Access for MembersSM.
If you are a member of media with questions, please contact:
Colleen Miller at 312-653-6904
Beware of Health Insurance Phone Scams
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois (BCBSIL) has learned about two types of scam calls that some of our members are receiving.
The first type of call involves "spoofing."
A spoofing attack happens when someone fakes the identity of another device or user on a network to steal data from the victim.
In this case, members are receiving calls that show "Blue Cross and Blue Shield" on the caller ID. However, BCBSIL is not making those calls. The callers are asking for protected health information (PHI) and claiming to be able to lower member premiums or offer additional coverage.
The second type of call is being made by people falsely claiming to be representatives of Blue Cross or Blue Cross and Blue Shield. They claim to be selling health insurance. We are not making any automated prerecorded sales calls.
In both of these situations:
- Those calls are not from us. We don't yet know who is making them. The callers appear to be trying to get you to give out personal or financial information.
- This is reported as a national scam.
- If you get one of these calls, hang up right away. Don’t give out your personal information or press any numbers if prompted.
- Open Enrollment for individual health insurance ended Dec. 15, 2018. Unless you have a qualifying life event, you can't apply until the next Open Enrollment starting Nov. 1, 2019.
- Read more about health care fraud and protecting your personal and financial information.
If you have any questions about calls that may come from us, please call the number on your member ID card.